Monday, April 18, 2011

Day 9 - Poplarville, MS - Clinton, LA

This morning was beautiful! I didn't have the best nights sleep, I couldn't really get comfortable last night and it was rather chilly in our cabin at the RV park. I only had a sheet to stay warm with, so I spent time trying to be creative with whatever I could reach. But once I woke up and went outside the sunrise made it all worth while.
Unfortunately that was the nicest part of the day we experienced. The weather was mainly over cast but the humidity was extremely high and I am not sure that I ever stopped sweating until I took a shower this evening. It made drinking that H2O even more important today. Bill Estle and Jerry Stutzman did a great job keeping out water bottles full and snacks in our jersey pockets so we had energy for the full ride.

we rode out of Poplarville and about 20 miles after we left we left Mississippi and entered Louisiana, we naturally stopped for pictures.

Another state behind us. Like I said the best part of the day was the sunrise. Louisiana was not only warm and humid it was full of rolling hills. We are getting pretty used to these kinds of hills because Florida was full of them too, but it doesn't mean your legs still don't get worn out riding them.
We stopped and ate lunch at 55 miles today, had a ham sandwich with some chips and a coke. We spent a few minutes chatting and them mounted our bikes and continued west. We rode a total of 95 miles today and actually got off the bikes earlier today then any other day so far. Even with the humidity and the hills we made great time.
We are staying at a bed and breakfast tonight, and it is a really cool place. We are staying at The Wild Flower Inn http://www.thewildflowerinn.net/ , check it out. I actually have my own room tonight and tomorrow night. I have this weird suspicion that it is haunted though....this is a picture from the dream room...

Jerry Hogg is staying and that room and I told him if that dress starts floating around the room tonight, I am out of here!!! I am just kidding about it being haunted, we asked the owner and she told us it isn't. We definitely got hooked up for this rest day, we all have beds and we have a great Wi-Fi connection here. The only bummer is that Verizon does not have any coverage in Clinton, LA. None of us have cell phone coverage, so the only way we can communicate is e-mail and Skype. But the accommodations out weigh the no cell phones.

Once we unloaded the bags and took showers, we headed down the street and had some pizza for dinner. We ate at a place called Sonny Pizza. We have a no chain rule on this trip. Meaning that when we go out to eat we look for something local instead of going to a chain that we can go to at anytime in Phoenix. So we had pizza and it was good!

Tomorrow is a rest day! So that means I get to sleep in, and just like the last rest day we have laundry to do and some bike maintenance to take care of. I am off to bed now, I need to upload some picture to facebook, but that is about it for the night.

Until tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment