Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Day 4 - Midway, FL to Ponce De Leon, FL

Today started horribly! My legs were screaming at me when we woke up this morning. They did not want to ride a bike at all. My quad were the main problem, there was also a disconnect from my brain to my legs. I was trying to get them to move because they just won't go. I applied some medicated cream from Dr. Hoys to my quads to help with the pain. I am not sure if it actually worked or not, but what I do know is that when I went outside into the 55 degree morning air, my quads were very cold! We headed out of Midway with the sun just breaking the horizon. It seemed no matter what I wanted to do on the bike, my body was telling my NO!
I told Shannon I need to let this work its way out of my system. To make matters worse, we had a very hilly day today. I am not talking about mountains, just rolling hills which require more work to get over. In fact I was moving so slow this morning I actually saw a turtle on the side of the road. He passed me as we were going up the same hill, and I swear he laughed at me too?!? Thankfully I made it to the to lunch spot. It felt good to get off my bike, take my helmet off and have a sandwich and a coke. As we were getting ready to leave we met a couple that was on the same route as we are on. They are heading the opposite direction to St. Augustine. It was good to talk to them for a few minutes. They are riding the route unsupported meaning they carry everything with them on there bikes as they go. As we were talking another man road up and stopped to say hi. We offered them some food and water and then we took off our separate ways.
The afternoon was back on par for what we are used to riding, still had hills to deal with and a wind that picked up in the afternoon. But we can deal with that, the important part was my body was running at 80% again and we were moving. We pulled in to the Ponce De Leon Hotel around 5pm CST and took care of the usual business. Let my wife know I was safe and sound and off the bike. Updated twitter and FB real quick. Unload bags from the RV and took a shower. Tonight we had sloppy joes and macaroni and cheese prepared for us my Aunt Sharron (POP's sister). It hit the spot. I followed it up with some cookies and water to stay hydrated for tomorrow.
Speaking of tomorrow, we ride again tomorrow out of Ponce De Leon into Pensacola, FL. The rumor going around the crew is we are going down to the gulf for seafood! Sounds like a perfect way to end tomorrow if you ask me! But first things first, focus on the ride and staying safe.
The scenery is beautiful out here, so much green. Lots of farming and animals to see. We were chased by a total of 6 dogs today and saw lots of small critters. It is neat to see all these large ranch style homes sitting on lots of acres of land. On the other hand it is interesting rolling through some of these smaller cities and riding from the bad side of town to the good side of town and seeing the drastic differences.

That is all for today. I need to get everything out and ready for the morning and get another night worth of rest to carry me through tomorrow.

Again, thank you for everyone’s support. The txt messages, the FB & Twitter notes are all so encouraging while we are out here riding!

No comments:

Post a Comment