Friday, April 22, 2011

Day 13 - Oberlin, LA - Silsbee, TX

What a day! It started just like that the other. Like I said we are getting pretty good at this, get up get everyone feed and ready to start riding. We pulled out of Oberlin around 7am, and although the morning air was cool, the humidity was high and it wasn't long before we were all dripping with sweat. Today route did not have many turns in it so we navigeted through town and out on the open roads.

We headed west and at mile 20 we crossed into Texas! It was pretty exciting for us, it means we have covered a significant amount land since we started on April 10th!


Today we wore our Davis Phinney Foundation jerseys. Check out DPF and what they are doing to help folks with Parkinson's disease. http://www.davisphinneyfoundation.org/ 

That is where the excitement ended for the day. Once we crossed into Texas, we made a left and headed south all afternoon. The thing is there was a 15-20 mph wind coming out of the south today. It may not sound like a lot of wind, but when you are trying to go 15 mph into a 15 mph head wind, it causes you to use a lot more energy then you would normally use. We gladly stopped for lunch and got out of the sun and wind and had a hot ham and cheese sandwich, it was delicious.

After lunch we found some good music on our ipods and kept our heads down and pedalled into the wind and headed south. I chose Skillet to listen to get me through the afternoon.

We arrived at our hotel which is very nice, took a hot shower and then headed out to dinner tonight. We ate a place called Novrozsky's hamburger etc. I order a peanut butter bacon burger and to my surprise it was really good. It was a normal bacon burger with a big scoop of peanut butter on the burger. Naturally I had a sweet tea to go with my burger, it was a fulfilling and delicious dinner.

It is only 8:30pm here but i feel like it is 10pm. I am flat beat today. My legs are wore out from pushing into that wind all afternoon, i have developed a new saddle sore that it kicking my butt (literally) tonight. The good news is we have 92 mile day tomorrow. We get through tomorrow and we have a rest day on Easter Sunday. We are heading west tomorrow and the forecast calls for the winds out of the south again. So we will have to deal with it, but a cross wind isn't nearly as defeating as a head wind.

There are a few things I dislike about cycling: Mountains! Headwind!
My favorite things about cycling: Descents! Tailwind!

I need to stretch and go to bed now, although we will be about 10 miles shorter tomorrow, it can still be just as challenging if my body isn't ready for it.

Again thank you for all your support - you guys are great!

No comments:

Post a Comment