Friday, April 29, 2011

Day 20 - Comfort, TX - Rest Day

This is our second rest day in a row and the first time this was scheduled on this trip. I have mixed feeling about 2 rest days in a row. My legs really appreciate the rest, but part of me wants to be out there putting miles behind us. I have to remind myself that I need rest! I will breakdown physically if I push myself too much. So that is what we did today, we rested. We did have some fun off the bike today.

We all sleep in later then normal, as you probably know when your body is on a certain sleep schedule it is hard to break it for a few days, so we all kind of woke up around the same time and just stared at the ceiling for as long as we could before getting up. I think I made it to 7:30am before I climbed out of bed and took a shower.

We headed over to the RV and had some breakfast. We all agreed we would head into Fredricksburg, TX for a few hours. Fredricksburg reminded me of Sedona on steroids. Lots of antique shops and candy stores. I had a few favorite shops that we stopped at, the first was Texas Jack. It had everything from hats, belts, firearms! I was able to talk guns with on of the associates for 5 or 10 minutes. We discussed the different state laws between AZ and TX. Interesting fact, you cannot open carry in Texas, you can only conceal carry with a permit.  
My next favorite shop was a store that had every kind of jam, spread, and dip imaginable. The best part of the store was you could taste test almost every item in the store. It was incredible, Bill Estle and I had to remove ourselves from the store to stop testing EVERYTHING!
After walking around for a while we all worked up an appetite and headed to the Buffalo Nickel for lunch. I ordered a bacon cheeseburger that blew me away! It was really good, and the fries were made just the way I like them.

After Lunch we headed back to Comfort to enjoy the rest of the day however we wanted to. I chose to send out some tweets, and respond to my e-mails. Then I watched Breaking Away to pass the afternoon time. It is a cycling movie from 1979. It was fun to watch and encouraging to see this kid go for it all on the bike.

Tonight we are all just relaxing. Mona cooked us an amazing dinner. I am finishing my blog and then going to repack for the next 4 days on the bike.

The temperature is supposed to be warm again tomorrow and the wind isn't supposed to stop anytime soon. But we are rested and I have been receiving all kinds of encouragement from family and friends. I have no doubt that we will get through this tough patch of hills and wind.

Something that put my mind at ease today is that by next Saturday we will be out of Texas! That is 7 days from now with a rest day in there. Looking at it that way makes me sleep better at night.

Your week is ended and ours is beginning. Enjoy your weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment