Thursday, April 28, 2011

Day 19 - Comfort, TX - Rest Day

Today was a rest day in our schedule. However with the arrangements last night for dinner, we cut our ride about 30 miles short yesterday to keep our schedule. This morning we got up on our same schedule and went out and rode the missed miles.

I will have to say, I was less then pleased when that alarm sounded and we had to get up. I was thankful that we made our dinner last night.

When we went outside, the air was very cool. It was 48 degrees when we started riding. I put on what cold weather clothes I had with me. I had moved my long fingered gloves to another bag that was still back at the hotel. That was the coldest part this morning, my fingers.I had to suck it up for the first 30 minutes while they warmed up.

As we started riding the sun was just breaking the horizon. I was very thankful when it was up high enough to warm me up some. The hills were just as fun as they were yesterday, but without the wind it seemed to less work. Don't get me wrong, there was plenty of work on the bike this morning. But the wind not messing my head was huge. I have always heard that after so many days/miles the ride becomes more of a head game. I think that is where I am right now. My body is still preforming, but my mind is starting to play games with me. I say on top of it, and spend a lot of time and prayer and a lot of time focusing on other things so I don't psych myself out when I see the next climb. It is actually quite interesting playing this head game with myself.

We finished the ride in about 2 hours and were back at the hotel to clean up for the day.

We lucked out and had laundry facilities at the RV park where our RV is parked at. We loaded up the washers with all our dirty clothes and then found a comfortable chair and some shade and relaxed. We had lunch around 12pm and moved the clothes to the dryer. While I was reading my book outside I told Shane I think I need to lay down for a few minutes, he said he would wait for the dyer to finish so I walked back over to the hotel and laid down. Apparently I was out like a light! Les (RV driver) came in the room to get something and Bill was banging on the door to get in....I heard nothing. I must have really needed a nap!

I woke up hearing my phone making beeping noise. I had missed 6 text messages. One of those was a TXT from the group to walk over and get ice cream at DQ. I hurried up and walked over and there was no one there! At first I thought I missed the party, but then I realized they were waiting for me to respond to the txt. Once we ironed that out I waited outside for everyone.

While I was waiting for everyone, Carl Ames called me to chat for a minute. Carl is a good friend of ours that if fighting Parkinson's Disease. Let me tell you, Carl is a fighter too! He has completed 2 sprint Triathlons in the last year. Carl is also riding with us from the Arizona/New Mexico border to Phoenix. This will be a great day when we see Carl standing there waiting for us on that border!

We took a quick trip into downtown Comfort to check out the shops. We found some interesting Antique stores with lots of antiques. In one of the stores the shop owner had these really cute pugs, and in the shop they had a bedroom and they would pose for pictures, it was priceless.

We just finished a delicious dinner and I am getting ready to watch the Office tonight. You see this is how i relax. I already warned some of the guys, there could be some tears. Yes I am one of those guys that tears up at television programs, plus I have been extra emotional lately with missing my family. Either way, tears or not tears it will be great to watch a program tonight.

We also have another rest day tomorrow. No alarm clock int he morning!!! Not sure what tomorrow with bring, I think we are running up to another town that is supposed to have a lot of shops and restaurants in it.

Tomorrow also brings the departure of POPS. He is going home for a week to go back to work. He will be greatly missed. He is extremely encouraging every day, all day. He gives us hugs in the morning and the evening! POPs Ride stands for Pedal over Parkinson's....but it is also what Shane and Shannon call there dad - POPS. He will be missed and we will be excited to see him return shortly!

Tomorrow is Friday! Make sure you make it a great day!!! Take time out of your day to talk to someone you wouldn't normally talk to, even if it is just a "Good Morning" and a smile!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Man!!!

    I enjoyed reading your post, the pugs were hilarious. Its good to hear from you. I know that you will find your way through the head games. Maybe can use some scriptural warfair! (Isaiah 40:28-31) is one of my favorites, I hope that maybe you can find some renewed strength and comfort in these verses my freind.

    Just keep on pedaling!
    God bless you and keep you safe!

    Isai Martinez

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Isai! That was exactly what I needed to hear today! I need to write that our and tape it to my handle bars! As much fun as I am having on this trip, can't wait to have lunch w/ my lunch buddy again! See you soon!

    ReplyDelete