Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Day 39 - Blythe, CA - El Centro, CA

The word of the day today is TEAMWORK!

I slept extremely well last night at the KOA park model in Bylthe. I did wake up a little early, but because I was out like a light the rest of the night I didn't bother me any.

The first thing I did notice was the wind when I looked outside. It was already blowing pretty well and it was only 6am. Since we had our little "cabin" we had all the breakfast foods in our little kitchen. Once we were done eating we packed it all up and returned everything to the RV.

Today we were doing something new! Today we did a relay ride. Meaning that we all took turns on the road the others rested until it was their turn! The reason we did this is because we knew it was going to be windy today and we knew the mileage was high. We wanted to make sure everyone was involved and we also wanted to save as much energy for the hills tomorrow. The plan was to ride in 20 mile rotations and knock it out! Kurt took the first shift. I went ahead and rode in the RV because I was the 4th rider. Kurt rode his 20 miles plus a few extra. Next up was Kerri and Shannon. They had some hills to tackle and the wind kicked it us a notch. They stuck together and made it through their shift. Next up was Shane - His shift was a little more challenging then the others. He had some more hills and a lot more wind. By this point the wind was up to 20-25mph and gusting into the 30's. It was brutal but he pulled through like a champ. Like I said I had the 4th leg and by this time the wind was really moving. We were sitting in Glamis and at the base of the Imperial Sand Dunes. I started pedaling right into dunes. The wind was gusting at 40mph and the sand was beating against my body. It was really intense. I am not sure I have ever ridden in something as windy and crazy as what I did today. Once I cleared the dunes and the sand stopped beating me up, the ride wasn't that bad. The wind was still there, but it wasn't too abusive!

Shannon pulled double duty today and took the remaining 25 miles. He was my hero this afternoon. He cut through that wind like it wasn't even there. We made to El Centro around 5pm. The RV Park was 5 miles from our end point.

Karen fixed us a great meal tonight! Chicken Enchiladas in a skillet = wonderfulness! Thanks Montana Momma for another great meal.

Everyone is wiped out from the wind and ready for bed. Pops went out for a few things and is getting milk shakes from IN and OUT burger. Looking forward to that, and then some sleep.

Tomorrow we ride into Alpine, CA! 30 miles from the beach! Tomorrow ride also includes a big climb at the end of the day. Should be fun! The weather forecast is calling for my wind tomorrow. We are praying for the winds to blow tonight and be calm tomorrow. We will see what happens!

All I know is that we are ready to be in Alpine, and it will have to blow pretty hard to stop us from getting there.

No comments:

Post a Comment