Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Day 38 - Aguila, AZ - Blythe, CA

I had the worst night last night trying to sleep. I went to bed extremely exhausted and was positive I was going to sleep the night away. When i Laid my head down I was out like a light. I woke up and thought it was time to get up and looked at my watch and it was only 11:45PM, my first thought was great, I slept really good and I still have the rest of the night. The problem was I kept happening every other hour all night long! It was a long night. My 5:30am alarm finally rang and we got up and ready for the day.
As I mention yesterday, the Coyote Flat cafe and bar was serving us breakfast this morning. We all headed over there just after 6am. The staff was there with smiles on there faces and ready to cook us some breakfast. I went with a half order of french toast and it was the right choice. Everything that came to the table was delicious!

We walked back to our motel and started getting our bikes ready to leave. Shannon went ahead and put his skirt on!!! That's right Shannon pulled his skirt up and was ready to ride. You see a while ago Shannon issued a challenge on Facebook that if his friends came up with $500 he would wear a skirt on a bike for 1 day in Arizona! His friends quickly raised the money and that was that, Shannon had to wear a skirt - I am having issues uploading pictures on my blog, so I added a picture on my Facebook account of Shannon and his skirt! Go check it out! If we aren't friends, then I guess we should change that, send me a request!

The ride this morning was perfect. The weather was just right, in the mid 60's, the wind was hardly there and the road was flat. You could see for miles. We burned off the first 15 miles pretty fast. We met the RV and had a snack and regrouped and headed out. We decided to keep the RV closer today, so Jim drove it up 20 miles from our morning stop. Those next 20 miles took forever! The wind had picked up and made the ride more challenging! When we finally arrived at the bus it was approaching 11am. We decided that we would just break for lunch since we were at the bus and it was close enough to lunch time.

After we enjoyed our cold cuts and soda we mounted back up on the bike and started riding west. The wind had increased to a steady 15 mph head wind. We formed a solid pace line and cut through the wind pretty good. We were able to knock off 18 miles pretty quick. Then the wind kicked it up a notch and we started to separate. The broke into 2 groups and kept fighting the wind. We finally made it to our turn and got on the I-10 again. The shoulder was not as smooth as the shoulder in Texas, but it was plenty wide enough and still smooth enough for us. The only problem was the road kept heading straight into the wind. By this time the wind had taken it up another notch and showed no sign of letting up. By this point we point we had broken up and everyone was at there on pace. It was a long haul into Blythe but we all made it safely. We stopped and took picture at both the California state line and the "Welcome to California" signs. It was really great to celebrate another state line crossing today! What an amazing advenure this has been.

We are staying at a KOA tonight and have 2 bunk houses. They are really nice, each house has a queen size bed in a room, with 2 bunk beds as well as coach and a recliner. It also has a kitchen, and a little family room. Again I took pictures, but I am having issues! That just means you will have to invite me out for coffee when I get back and I will bring my picture and I can tell you all my stories face to face!

Arizona! See you when when I return Sunday night. California! Thanks for meeting us with a head wind, but I have news for you. POPsRide will not be stopped! We will be on that beach Saturday, and you will like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment